Wednesday, August 17, 2005

IAW @ USyd

IAW= Islamic Awareness Week (which is next week).

Ishi wrote up a little about the pre-IAW forum, but I don't quite agree with some of the detail, and I would like to add some more. The Reverand was very good, and he obviously has some knowledge about the Quran. When Muslims began to suggest he read up more on the Quran, I completely agreed, but at the same time, I thought: How can we Muslims ask him to acquire knowledge of the Quran, when we are so lazy about doing so ourselves?... and I doubt there are many Muslims out there who have even a superficial idea of what the Bible contains (Flynn included). So I say, unless you're willing to put in the hard yards and gain knowledge of your own deen, don't go around demanding people of other faiths to do so. It borders on hypocrisy, does it not??
This may all be well and good, but there are a few things I am, as yet, very unclear about (concerning Christianity and their "theological" perspectives). The reverand kept repeating that God is Love, and that God is there to serve us, not that we are there to serve God. He made it seem as though submitting to the Creator- whom we believe is worthy of our worship- is somehow not very appealing to the Christians. Is it that Christians believe that they should or need to be served, and by their Creator, Master, Maker, no less?? What can be so repugnant or disgraceful about submitting to the One you clearly believe has every right to ask- even demand- your worship??

The other thing the reverand kept emphasising (which I obviously have problems comprehending) is the fact that in Christianity, God is Love, but that "evidently" this "Divine Love" was missing in Islam- i.e., the God of Islam has no Love, or somehow lacks "Love" (astaghfirullah). There's no need to try to make you see why this is so very wrong a perspective to take. The point is baseless, since the Love that Allah has for his creations is shown through the very fact of our existance.
I could ramble on for eons and millenia about the forum, which I found to be very thought provoking, but I shall stop now.

For the moment, I'm looking forward to IAW, but not with too much enthusiasm and zeal. Someone suggested that I not stand at the Da'wah table as I might be attacked (perhaps not physically), but I thought that was a bit of a ridiculous thing to say. What's a little verbal bashing compared to the sacrifices made and sufferings endured by the Companions? Moreover, how can I help to spread the awareness of Islam if I don't stand at the Dawah table?? Sort of defeats the purpose of the week, does it not?

Right-o, this shall be the end of yet another long and hopefully not so tedious post. I shall keep you all updated (and so, I hope, will Ishi) on the up's, down's, the happenings and the no-happenings of IAW. I request that you all make Du'a for the SUMSA (Syd Uni Muslim Students' Assoc.) members to be able to impart at least a tiny grain of positive Islamic knowledge to the student body in general.

9 comments:

Mariamazmi said...

IAWs are so great.
Although I have only experienced helping with my school's IAW, I normally run about excited for the weeks before.
Good memories.
I have also witnessed Mrs C and Bikey staying up till all hours of the night (well not witnessed Bikey's, more heard about hers and seen pictures) for their Uni IAWs which are in a league of their own.

Sigh.
i can't wait til our next IAW!

Aaisha said...

IAW Publicity committee is starting to do their work from this friday. If u're interested flynn, heres the details:

* chalking the floors - meet friday morning @ 7am in front of co-op bookstore. U can go later in u want.

* grafitti tunnel - sunday morning (contact rima for details).

Man, I wanna go to both of the things i mentioned, kintu mone hoy jawa hobe na. Because I have driving lessons on friday morning (and even if i were 2 get there by 7, i'd have 2 leave home @ 5.30am!). And we have the pm meetings on sunday morning so i cant go then as well. But if u can go, go!

»|m|u|n|i|r|a|« said...

iishii and flynn, I think both of you should stand at dawah table, if nothing else. This is probably one of the few chances when you'd be able to say what you think right without the vagaries of SUMSA whateva

flynn.t said...

Such a disappontment!!
I had an extra spring in my step today because I expected the walk to Wentworth (a building in USyd) to be all chalked up with messages of IAW, and Islam in general.... and what did I find?
A distinct lack of any messages at all!! Nothing... I was sooo disappointed.

flynn.t said...

PS- for sure we'll be at the Da'wah table... won't we, Ishi??

Anonymous said...

what vagaries? must clarify that bit for me!

flynn.t said...

What do you mean by "vagaries" of "SUMSA whatever"??
I'm disappointed that I can't make it to the paint/ deco. session on Sunday morning. :( There's always next year, eh?

»|m|u|n|i|r|a|« said...

if you're not familiar with them then its pointless to explain...

dazey said...

aa
just wanted to make a point about the whole existence of God's great luv for humanity in islam, shud anyone ever bring it up again. this is one of my most favourite ayahs, so worth repeating methinks to those confused:

'And He is oft forgiving, full of love, Lord of the Throne, the Glorious' (85:14-15)

God's love lacking in islam my hindfoot. astaghfirullah. ah hoping to do an iaw for my college this ramadan. funfun! o n i totally agree, WE need to read up on our religion b4 telling others n WE need to read up on other religions b4 trying to deal with them.

xx