Thursday, May 12, 2005

das Es, das Ich, das Uber-Ich

The Id, the Ego and the Super-ego:

Freudian psychoanalysis...
I just had my Personality Theories lecture, focusing on Freud and his theory of personality. Apparently, his main subject was himself. He frequently studied and analysed his dreams, came up with a theory, then generalised, and applied the general theory to the whole population.

According to Freud, humans have a constant conflict between their Id and their Superego, i.e.- thier desires are always in conflict with their morals. And our defense mecahnisms? Sublimation: desires chanelled into more socially acceptable forms of behaviour. (How does that explain sadomasochism??)And the fact that his theories overemphasis certain bodily functions...what does that say about his dreams??If you asked me, I would say that his should be termed the "Psycho", not the "Psychodynamic", approach.

Hmmm... I wonder if I should go to my Chem lecture?

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

ashes2ashes here

hmmm...Snowy seems to be under the impression that our public schools are funded by billionaires! Where would the funds for such luxuries come from??

flynn.t said...

It was only contemplation Ash. I went...to your relief, no doubt.
Not that I learnt much.

Anonymous said...

SnowMan, dreaming of personal laptops is one thing, but at school? I can see the future: laptop graffitti/ vandalism...internet fraud...and the like