Friday, July 15, 2005

The Reunion & the Royal Mail

Thursday was the day... that day- the day I'd been waiting for. I don't know what happened- perhaps it was too much exictement?- but I slept in. Oops. Being late for a hang-out with a few mates is no biggie... normally, but considering that I had to catch one of Howard's unreliable trains and almost 2 hrs. to get where I wanted to go... well, then it's clearly a problem. Not to worry, though- I made it... late. Now, you may be wondering- what exactly have I made it to?

...The Reunion of course!
Just under 20 girls dragged themselves from whatever corner of Sydney, to Rab'z place with food, gifts and expectations of the time of our lives. I walked in, and straight away saw before me a display of colours, makeup and jewellery... well, what did I expect? Where there's a gathering of girls, there's a gathering of all forms of clothes, hair, makeup... you name it- they had it. Poor Ifafa Apu wasn't expecting a display of their peacock feathers, so it may have been a slight shock for her, but I came well shielded- after all, these were the friends I'd spent a good part of my developing period with. However, I did discover that I have a new-found phobia: CONTACTS. That one comes after my phobia of bees and pink. I shudder wehn I recall the pain with which poor Princess was attempting to lodge foreign material into her eyes. I blame Ishi for starting this craze- I could handle a first glance at her new grey eyes, but she sure did scare me with her big-eyed stares. The results were stunning, of course... beauty queens left, right and centre.
In any case, by the time all hair and makeup was done up to satisfaction, stomachs were rumbling. So, without further ado, lunch was served. Mmmm... Nihari and Biryani
and loads of food... it was nothing short of food mania!
Time was running away from us, so we moved onto the main events of the day. We played a couple of games- Princess went home with a little gift, and our gracious host got lucky as well. Everyone else was satisfied with the "thankyou for coming" gifts. Personally, I learnt a few surprising little tidbits about these friends of mine. Apparently, Rabz has a secret obsession (well, it was secret)... barbie dolls! Did I hear correctly? Did she really confess to having an obsession with barbies? And a newish friend of mine apparently once gave a speech on toes. What the??!! Help me out here, girls... what else did we learn about our friends??

It was great catching up with Nahid. Lordy, that girl hasn't changed a bit (thankfully)! Do you know what was the funniest? Her convo. with M. Apu on the phone. HAHAHA! Obviously M. Apu was feeling left out and saddened because she hadnt come to the reunion, so she called up to chat with a few of us. Straight away they became ol' bumchums, though they'd never actually met face-to-face. How about you recall the very interesting convo for us, M. Apu?
What else happened? Oh yeah... the video. We took like 3hrs worth of footage during our last week or so at school, and Ishi cut it down to about 15 mins of hularity and embarassment and nostalgic moments. Then there was the little play-acting thing... the funiest was the "Hidden Romance" scene- all about the inseperable Upi & Ship. Oh, and how could I forget our Victorian-age royalty, Emu... and Anika- the very epitome of Bangali bimbo-ness.
What, oh what, would I have done without these friends of mine??
Well, the day ended nicely with a "horror"movie- The Ring 2. Let me tell you- these girls would be scared by a cute little kitty if it bared its claws. The movie was so not scary that I nearly fell asleep- it was morelike a nice little bedtime story. Ishi, Ifafa Apu, Emu and Princess were huddled together up in front, rabz , Hasnat and her Mum sat on one side, I was on another and Upi, Omi and Nahid were seated on the sofa at the back. It was during this one scene (do you remember which Ishi?) that the three girls sitting on the sofa screamed bloody murder... in sync. Lordy what a racket. And Hasnat- the cutey of the day- saw his opportunity to blab... the movie became even more tedious as Hasnat had already told everyone what was goign to happen (even though Rabz was practically stuffing her fist into his mouth). He's such a cutey!

So, having finished the movie (of which only the last scene was any good), Princess, Ifafa Apu, Emu & I realised that we were the only ones left. Hauling our behinds off those comfy seats, we made our way to Emu's place, where Princess, Ifafa Pu and I were to spend the night. All four of us were drained, totally... yet we managed to stay up late. Ifafa Apu was first to go, followed by princess, who was planning to leave at the godforsaken hour of 8:00 AM or thereabouts. I finally dropped off at 3AM, and I don't think Emu slept at all. What a night...

Anyway, the next day, Ifafa Apu and I were homeward bound (with Ishi tagging along) at 12-ish (PM), having devoured more yummy food, chatting, and waiting for Ishi's arrival. A very exhausted and haggard Flynn reached homeat 2PM, only to find a nice little surprise waiting for her...
Royal Mail! That's what it has stamped on the front. And what, you may ask, is this royal mail?It was our invitation to Mr&Mrs. C's wedding (Mrs. C is my cousing, so I suppose I shall have to start calling Mr. C dulabhai or sum such foreign title, right?) Oh, and to my surprise, the "C" in Mr. and Mrs. C represents the same last name as mine- spelt exactly the same way... I was a bit surprised. Flynn would love to go, but their country of residence is the one and only Ice Palace Land, and the timing is not good for me- smack bang in the middle of Uni season. (*sigh*) There's bound to be a lot of hype... if only I could have been there. PS- I expect some photos, Mad Cow.

Here I shall end... my fingers hurt from the typing... and good luck to you all- this is perhaps the longest of my posts.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

for a moment i thought the MRS C was someone from UR family.

Aaisha said...

me 2, hehe. wow another wedding in ur family. Flynn, tui eto lucky. Amar family te keo biye korena, lol. Korleo obviously we cant go coz of the travel costs and plus we've backed out of going 2 so many weddings je ora amader ekhon ar janai na. Sad huh? Well say congrats 2 ur cuz from all the sydney gang here and we wish them a happy and peaceful life, khek.

Now, the reunion, hmmm..., what do i say, I didnt no u were that excited flynn. Well glad u enjoyed it. And contacts rnt that scary (once they're in ur eyes =P). U no wat, after that day princess has attempted many times to put her contacts on but failed and was left with bloodshot eyes for the rest of the day, HAHAHAHAHAHAHA, poor girl. Insha Allah I'm going over 2 her place 2moro. Tokhon hoito shikhate pari (insha Allah, PLEASE!).

And the Ring 2 was SO scary. Flynn has to much of an ego to admit it but every1 was scared. And amader Nahid naki bashai giye charidike Ring Girl ke dekha shuru korse. She cant sleep! And lucky 4 us we have sisters, she has a brother (so she has 2 b left all alone by herself at night). Even tho i watched 20 mins of the movie with my eyes closed for 15 minutes, I still saw the ring girl in my house, lol. But ami to bhitu, eita shobai jane.

Well, Flynn will conplain about my 'essay' here so ami jai. Salams ppl.

Anonymous said...

MAN!!! - ur blogs just keep getting bigger and bigger!!!

flynn.t said...

People- Most of you have died... well, in your blogs anyway.
I'm finding that I myself am not too enthusiastic about this blog of mine. I'm thinking of temporary retirement. You know... absence makes the heart fonder... or some such nonsense.

flynn.t said...

Ishi claims: "And the Ring 2 was SO scary. Flynn has to much of an ego to admit it but every1 was scared."

Excuse me! Flynn's ego has nothing to do with being scared. When have I ever been ashamed to admit that I'm deathly afraid of bees and contacts and emotional situations (ie- people bursting into tears in front of me... what are you supposed to do in a situation like that, anyway)??

The Ring 2 was really NOT scary at all- c'mon! Hasnat watched it... without blinking! And he's only 8!!
You lot are just whimps.

Anonymous said...

ahem, miss egotistical, u jumped when "the thing" first appeared. and don't tell me that it was bcos everyone screamed.

Mariamazmi said...

bees i can understand, but why pink?
We have many pink obsessed people here in england so you'll have to shut your eyes when you come (which i hope will be soon!)

flynn.t said...

Pink for others, I don't mind... but give me something pink, and I shall collapse or flee. It's just part of what defines Flynn.

As for you, pesky Miss Anon., I won't tell you that I jumped because everyone screamed... especially since I didn't even jump!