Friday, December 30, 2005

I've got the baton, now... what next?

So Dazey's handed the baton to me, and the only complaint I have is that I'm actually going to have to use my brain & try to remember some of this stuff from 5/10 years back. Whew! I need me some of those marshmallows....nothing like brain-food to get the ol' wheels chugging along.

Right-o... now, where do I start?


10 Years Ago: My first step into my new home. I was a little 8-yr-old, not a care in the world, and not a care as to where we landed, as long as my parents & sisters were there with me. I can still remember my first impression of New Zealand: FREEZING!! (and it wasn't even winter). Aside from the cold, there was the green. *sigh*... ain't never seen green like NZ green.

5 Years Ago: My first step into my new home. I was a bit older (13-going-on-4), confused, obstinate, not really believeing that I was going to leave all those friends behind and move, yet again, to some unknown ( and frankly, unwanted) place. And I can definitely remember my first impression of the land down under: BLOODY HOT!! And I'm tellin' ya- hot doesn't explain the half of it... 'twas mid-December, temperatures of 40+ degrees C, towards the end of ramadaan, and the highest temperatures I'd EVER experienced (in NZ) was close to 30 degrees. C.

Middle School: In other words, Intermediate (which is what it's called in NZ)... OH-MY-GOD! Those were the days of my stupidity... the peer pressure I succumbed to, the parties (wild- for 12/13 yr olds- & totally inappropriate for me), the weird fashion-phases I went through & have yet to understand, some of the most AMAZING and some of the WORST friends (all of whom I've lost contact with) &, in essence- a time of my life I'm glad is waaaay over, swept under the rug, never to be spoken/ thought of... EVER again (I hope). *shudders*

5 Bands & Artists: Sami Yusuf (good voice), Evanescence & Celine Dion (amazing voices, but I'm trying to get over them), Dawud Wharnsby, Native Dean & a guy with the most serene voice, whose name I don't know, but who sang an arabic song I heard only once, fell in love with & can't find again, though I've searched EVERYwhere... I don't even know what the song was about :(

5 Things I'd do with £100,000,000: Pounds?!? Wow!! That's like double in OZ $$!! So I'm thinking more along the lines of what to do with AU$200 million.
WOWZER!! How about buy an entire (teeny) island as a refuge for Muslims & oppressed people in general?? (Actually, I might need more that a teeny island... and in that case, more that a couple of hundred million).
Failing the island-buying scheme, I'd give about 70% to extended family so that they can have a comfortable, but not lavish, existence, pay off some loans, etc, etc... insist that their kids (all my cousins & what-not... the young'uns) get a decent, authentic education on Islam (preferebly overseas... can't see much decent islamic education happening in BD).
Repay any loans that my parents/ sisters/ grandparents may have (the others can fend for themselves :P). Hmm... what else?
Oh, definitely give like 20 million to YMSA & others like it (in OZ), 20 million to orgs overseas (esp in non-muslim countries).
Heaps towards advancing Islamic educational material + Islamic media (dunno how much... say another 20 million).
Is that 5 things yet??

5 Places I would run away to: NZ (anywhere), Japan, Morocco, Dubai, 1 friend's place (won't metion who).

5 things I like doing: Writing, reading, sketching, cleaning (say nothing people... it can sometimes be very therapeutic... it caaan!!), skating (ice or otherwise), oh and sometimes shopping (but mostly, I hate it).

5 things I will never wear: Blue/ green eyeshadow (unlessI'm at a costume party dressed as a freak)
A pink scarf (detest the look that colour gives me... esp on my head).
Socks with sandals (I think that's a BD thing... me Mum made me when I was a kid... eeewww- I've been traumatised since!)
Skinny jeans/tights (I thought that was done & over-with in the 60s/70s, those hideous things!)
Rings/bars/studs anywhere except my ears (not even my nose, thankyou very much).

5 Movies I like: Gladiator,
LOTR,
To Kill A Mockingbird (yeeees, I did like the black & white film, and I loved the book too),
Home Alone (the forst one only... and although I'm a bit enbarassed to admit this one, I loved the cute little Caulkin with his ingenious & over-the-top ideas... and it's funny!),
and any other movie with meaning + Will smith/ Jim Carey/ Russel Crowe/ Jhonny Depp...

5 People I'd like to meet: The prophet (saw)- that's a given,
'Isa... aka Jesus (as),
Helen Keller,
& my Dad's parents.

5 biggest joys at the moment: No Mum & mostly no Dad to "supervise"/ keep track of my second-to-second activities
No Uni in such horribly humid/hot/inhuman/ugly conditions (and it's only getting worse... ugh!!).
Loads of time to myself,
Food, food, gloooorious foood.
My YMSA girls (and friends)... so enthusiastic!


Weeeell, that's it.
It seems that I have to pass the baton on... and I choose: Dagz & Tea Biscuit.

17 comments:

Pink said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
dazey said...

watho watho watho!

yes dazey is impressed. o n the nasheed singer dude u have in mind might be muhammad al husayan (if the song u heard was mawlay) so chek tht up. he tends to hv tht effect on ppl-great voice n hvnt a clue who he is. o n flynn me dear, ive sent sum marshmallows with bse's sis so make sure u call bd n claim em b4 they eat em all up.

o n to intro pink (ello pink!)-she is one of our great ice palace buddies (v close to bse's clan too). u cn chek out her blog to find out more-v amusing. o n methinks theres pics from mrs c's wedding there too...

xx

dazey said...

n pink-get that name off-we're supposed to be incognito!

Pink said...

Jeez Louise. ok chill woman.
as i was saying before...

helen keller - great choice!

damn, i forgot to mention halal marshmallows as one of my biggest joys right now!

we dont know each other really, im family friends wt the a*** clan & know of u thru them

btw - i reckon the song might also have bn Ghurabaa by Saad Al-Ghamidi

and dOzey - all ur pics r on my blog albums so not v incognito!!! :p

Jibonjatri said...

yeah I will get to it and the amount of money is overwhelming! :D

Jibonjatri said...

All right! Done.. go visit! :D

flynn.t said...

Mawlay... thankyou, oh, THANKyou muchly Dazey!!
I heard it on a friend's mp3 (in high school)... and like the idiot that I am, forgot to ask her, then left high school, never saw her again & the rest is history. Did I mention, thankyou Dazey?

Oh, and Ghurabaa is another amazing song. Can't believe I didn't mention it in my list. And there are pics of you lot on your blog, Pink? Well, why didn't you say before??

Anonymous said...

lol ur v welcome. btw pink, ghurabaa is sung by ghamdi?!! he does qira'a n nasheed?? wow! or am i being dum again...? o well.

o n the pics-for sum reason uknown to urs truly thats ok. we can have our pics plastered across billborads but no names. kinda like abbus 'file' he sent me;).

xx

Anonymous said...

lol, i c that u have no problem with bright red e/shadow thou.

btw, kill a mockingbird film was very good.

flynn.t said...

Completely agree with you, Anon (about to Kill a Mockingbird), but-dear god- I've never even seen bright red eyeshadow... it exists?? Oh, and I suppose it's pointless to ask, but who are??

Oh, and PS- I've removed the post above becasue I have been told that it is such a "hush-hush" bit of news that I musn't even mention it... even if nobody knows who I'm referring to.

Jibonjatri said...

so how come you don't update anymore?

Anonymous said...

flynn, u silly, silly girl. do i need to remind u who was wearing that red stuff as eyeshadow? and who was commenting? go figure, Figaro.

dazey said...

blog good woman.

Anonymous said...

?

flynn.t said...

Oops! *blushes*
Ahem, yes Anon... I finally figured out who you are... thank goodness there are no photos!! *Whew* And that wasn't eyeshadow, that was lipstick applied to the wrong part of the face. *ahem*... you had to bring it up, didn't you??

PS- I'll blog Dazey, I will ... soon. I think.

Jibonjatri said...

ROFL
Lipstick as eye shadow! HAHAHAHAHAHA... Flynn's best kept secret, HAHAHA

Anonymous said...

well - i finally did it - omg .... i soo felt like dropping the baton!!