Saturday, December 31, 2005

Bloody Brilliant Bugger!!


Can't believe my ears right now... CANNOT believe it!!
Friend has just told/shared news of the friiend of this friend. And the news is MAJOR! So, this friend of a friend has just been accepted into YALE (yes- the one in the US), and get this- its for a Commercial Law degree. And get this- it's a scholarship!!! And finally- believe this: friend of a friend has refused !!!!!!!???
Can you tell that I'm shocked & dumbfounded??
Obviously, friend of a friend is a Bloody Brilliant Bugger. BUT, friend did also tell/share the reasons for such an inexplicable refusal. Friend of a friend wishes to pursue Islamic studies in Egypt & elsewhere. Friend of a friend also has many responsibilities (won't go into details), AND friend of a friend has just decided to get hitched.
My friends... I wish them all the happiness... and I wish they'd let me take that scholarship instead (except I'm lacking the much needed brilliance & the will to go to the US) *sigh*

This only highlights the absolutely horrendous results that I've had to show to my Dad, who (needless to say) has given up on my ever making anything of myself.

And now for the million dollar question/s: How do those people do it? What is it they have that I don't have?
If it's money, then I'm doomed. If it's determination, then I'm doomed double-time.



***
And on more doom & gloom news- have just realised that I'd completely forgotten about the first anniversary of a dead friend. I hadn't seen said friend for 5 yrs.
Died last year- can't even remember the exact date. Shows to go how self-centered my little world has become & how easily I forget those I once called "friend". *shudders*... I'm scaring myself here.

Ah well- worry not, my friend, you deserve serenity... but is that your destiny?

2 comments:

Jibonjatri said...

I am the first one to comment, because I can't sleep. Someone died at 2 in the morning (about five hours ago) and the whole thing about arranging the body wash and burial has begun. For some reason I am scared to death. Just need to take my mind off this, even though the journey will begin as soon as they issue the death certificate. One of the worst times, new year's time! God help us.

about your Yalie friend (distant friend, or whatever). You remind me of me. I used to think you have to be some super intelligent (almost artificial intelligent) to be there and figured I was wrong. So, no, you , too, can be wherever you want to be as long as you make proper duaa and remember, Allah decides on your rizq. It's not your brain but your rizq that takes you to these special places. I mean George Bush is a Yale alumn. You get the point.

For your friend, I think it was a good decision, because a school like that for a professional degree, no matter what scholarship you get, it is almost never enough to cover the the expenses 100% and huge debt is inevitable. When I say huge debt, it's really pretty BIG. Check out these private schools' website for these professional degrees and also check out the amount of financial aid someone could get. The numbers are not pretty, my dear. So, if she/he is a serious Muslim, that's something that will taunt her/him all these days and it's never worth it, from a Muslim perspective. So, going somewhere else for pure Islamic studies is way better choice. Also, if that person is a woman, getting hitched is always better than this, because, oh well, you want to have a family and have children while you are still somewhat young so that you can eventually enjoy. Law school: it's there, you can go there anytime. :D
So, I believe you, too, are capable of doing exact the same should you bother. I learned the honest truth that a school doesn't say much about a person's brain anyway. That's an oversimplification of people's different abilities that can be so unique for different things. Life or your brain is not measured by *standardized* test scores or GPA. Even though, people would like to be able to measure our brain, and hence this image thing about oh so-an-so goes to Hogwart (or whatever, lol) and so-and-so must be smart and I am just not just as smart, because in the U.S. News that Hogwart Academy was#1, and my school was #300. lol. Allah has decided to make our brain more complicated than what the admission committee can predict, really!! Einstein, when he was a student, flunked in school. I think I got my point across. I used to be smacked with huge argument whenever I made this kind of statement in the past. Then I figured, it's really us, the non-native Americans, that think like that. But, that's because we were trained to think that way. =P

Anyway, I still am thinking about what I am going to do in a few hours. There will be a long drive to the mortuary and .... please pray for the deceased who had been suffering from Cancer. I will blog about the detail later. A chilling reminder it is.

Anonymous said...

aa hun
the 'friend' dude-seen it b4. we have a girl here who turned down OXFORD for LAW in favour of manchester. the reason: dint like the place, too stuck up. so its all good!
n my bro-probs wud hv done the same thing. got into imperial for medicine (one of the best in uk) to turn it down in favour of arabis n islamic studies n goin down the academic sheikhy route. well he managed to get into oxford for that (currently on yr abroad in syria) with an all science background so it IS possible! just needs a helluva lot of perseverance. o n u need to turn into a book. like he did. really.

well on the perseverance front-i dnt hv it! it was TORTURE getting through that culture techniques booklet today...n its got like 5 pages. n i CAN'T turn into a book.

xx