Saturday, March 25, 2006

As I was saying...

Had a wander round the Islamic bookstores after lunch. Shay bought an Ahmed Deedat DVD, Dreema bought a miswak + tiny Quran & Syriana bought a prayer mat + The Message DVD.
Next, we stopped over at ALL the clothes shops & even had a MASSIVE faction-thing happen in Streetgear (clothes store)… one party FOR a blue top that Shay wanted to buy & one party AGAINST. Poor Shay was so confused that it all ended by us laughing over her reaction & her just forgetting completely about the top when her attention was caught by a (and I quote) “totally Egyptian-looking top!!” (In case you’re wondering, she’s very much an Egyptian, and VERY willing to let everyone know about it. Which reminds me, she said to send a MASSIVE salaam to BSE & co. from her, and also to relay the message that Egypt is “THE BEST!!”- Her words, not mine.)

The next incident was over Dreema’s mobile. (Btw- in case you’re wondering, Ishi- this is all after you had to leave). All of a sudden, Dreema realised that she had to call her sister up & ask if she wanted any food from Flynnland. BUT, when she reached for her phone, IT WAS NOT THERE!! We were sitting on these seats at a bus stop (not that we were actually catching a bus or anything- it was just one of our many pit stops). She had one MAJOR heart attack. She even did a distressed little squeaccup (squeaky-hiccup), which only had me rolling on the floor. At the same time, Tiara immediately ran all the way back to the bookstore (which is the only place we stayed long enough for her to have left her phone). Meanwhile, RiffRaff was shouting at Tiara to come back & stop running there because she was just going to call Dreema’s phone in the hope that someone at the bookstore would answer. BUT- her mobile was switched off!! This had Dreema in an even more of a panic because her phone is NEVER off… and the poor girl, I felt for her. I mean- just imagine life without your mobile… DEPRIVED!! I tried calling her phone as well and sure enough, it was switched off.

Just when we were all about to rush back to the store, I heard a little squeal from Dreema, followed by an evil giggle from RiffRaff. IT WAS HER!! RiffRaff! She’d nicked Dreema’s phone when she wasn’t looking. After the initial “OMG! I canNOT believe you, RiffRaff!!”- moments, we just laughed it all off…especially Tiara & Dreema’s reactions.

By this time, it was 6PM, and my folks must’ve thought I’d run away to join some cult (with the rest of my “friends”) because- in their way of thinking- how long can you possibly spend on one street in Flynnland?? And my honest answer: HOURS…literally! Especially when you’re with the girls…well, those girls.

The idea behind this whole day was to show Syriana the whole Muslim community-thing, which she’s never seen before. Did I mention she’s an exchange student from the US (Tennessee) here to study for a semester?? Well-now I've told you, and she is.

My mission for the day accomplished, I was ready to head home (plus my folks had called wondering which cult I’d joined…not seriously, of course). Just then, we all realised that ‘Asr time was running away from us… so, consensus: girls wanted to come over to my place, pray & leave. Called Mum, let her know that I was bringing an army of my friends ‘cause they needed to pray…just so she didn’t get a shocker.

Honestly, the walk that normally takes 10 mins when I’m walking at my slowest pace, took us about 30 mins!! Unreal!! Gotta be a world record! We finally made it just in time to pray ‘Asr, but after we’d finished, we sat around chatting, whilst everyone pretended that they were getting ready to leave… Before we knew what’d happened, it was Maghrib time…
Where the time flies, I’ll never know! So prayed Maghrib as well, after which the girls started to get threatening calls on their mobiles (from concerned parents, of course).

And that was that- they left for the station, and each made her own way home…poor Shay had the longest way to go.
Of course, no friend of mine comes over without leaving a trace of themselves: Tiara left her ring & Shay her watch…so typical.



PS- TeaBiscuit: if ever you get the chance to come (even for a semester) to USyd, seriously do so… it’d be “awesome”! We’d shout you lunch, as well. Oh, and Charlie is all Cheered!! :D

PPS- Ishi, you’ve been invited to “Movie Night” (or day) at Syriana’s dorm & ice-cream at the Quay… and we’ve got to go visit her dorm sometime soon.

PPSS- Emu: Sorry, couldn’t make it to your place this time…shall come another time, iA- probably on a Friday… which is when you’re free, right??

AND finally- where on earth is Sara B??? I’ve not seen her the ENTIRE week *shocked*!! So much for my mentoring…

5 comments:

Mariamazmi said...

my salams to Shay. She's right, egypt IS great, alh.

Aaisha said...

wow, man i feel bad 4 missing all the fun! But u no the sad thing, the assignment i left early for is still in the process of being finished and 2 be honest i havent got very far. But sometimes i wish i cud escape uni and just hang out! That wudve been so much fun on friday, glad u guys enjoyed it!

Will u b going 2 syriana's dorm 4 movie night? Is it really at night? Then i cant come 4 sure! But if its like in the evening or afternoon, that shud be allrite. I cant imagine u being allowed at night either.

Anonymous said...

We just call it movie "night" because it sounds funky, but really it's gonna be during the day. My parents would FREAK if they knew I was in Redfern (of all places) after Maghrib time.

But yeah, we did have a good time... and YOU!! How dare you ditch us and not finish that assignment of yours??!!

Hope you get it done on time, though, iA you will.

Anonymous said...

The scariest thing about this whole fiasco is that I actually understood what you were talking about (the wacky nicknames and all), Flynn! I think I should voluntarily admit myself to a mental institution!

Anonymous said...

Hey!! AAAASH!!
Wait a minute... you have access to the net??! Wow- that's a miracle, that is.

Lol- yep...it comes with being related to me. The other scary thig is that Mum understood EVERYTHING when I told her (minus the nick names, but plus my fast-pace yabbering...now that's a feat beyond belief!!).